Tuesday, June 2, 2009

About Labyrinths

As I wrote in my previous post, hubby and I built a labyrinth a couple of weeks ago. Many have walked it and told me they enjoyed it. Some already know what a labyrinth is all about, others aren't quite sure, so here's a little info on them.

The Labyrinth is the universal symbol of transformation. It is a metaphor for our journey through life, very much a right-brain meditation activity.

A labyrinth provides a space to listen to our inner voice of wisdom. We can ask for guidance and pray for ourselves and our loved ones. It calms the confused mind and fearful heart.

It is also a fun-filled and joyful activity for young children. Giggles and laughter emit from them as they race through the path, helping us to remember that labyrinths are not only healing, meditational and spiritual, but they are also very joyful.

To prepare you may want to reflect before walking the labyrinth. Do you have a question? Do you just want to slow down and take time out from a busy life? Have you come to find strength to take the next step? Have you come to the labyrinth during a time of grief and loss?

Walk it in silence. Let all thoughts go. Allow God to speak to you in an image.

A labyrinth can help.

Today when I arrived at our store, Moonstone Path, there were workmen patching the mortar on the back of the building. They had inadvertently trampled on my newly planted impatiens. Feeling in a murderous mood, I headed for the labyrinth with the purpose of cooling off. By the time I was done walking, I had calmed down and was in a pretty good mood. And I think the flowers are going to survive after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The labyrinth is at the store? I didn't realize you had a yard there. I will have to drop by soon to see it! :D

Carol said...

It's at the very back of the yard. You can access it from the parking lot back there or from the walkway between our store and KFC. It's pretty neat!!