Monday, June 2, 2008

Artistry is not always genetic

My husband's Dad, Tom, submitted one of his oil paintings at a charity event and it sold for $150.00. A lot of people were interested in it, some even took pictures of it. Now Tom is not a professional artist, oil painting, like his amazing electric train set, is a hobby. He taught himself, and has painted a few rather nice country scenes. I'm rather proud of the in-law.
The following morning, darling hubby, Mephistopheles, who cuts me up a kiwi fruit in the morning for breakfast presented said kiwi and said "well? What do you think of it?" I looked at the kiwi then at his expression of creative accomplishment and said "ummm, looks like a good kiwi."
"No no" he said "what do you think of my picture?"
I replied "It's very nice, abstract is it? 'Kiwi pieces randomly placed', very chic."
"No no" the love of my life said, "it's a happy face".
Hmmm, just wasn't seeing it. Mephistopheles, bless his darling soul, has not inherited his father's artistic abilities.

No comments: