Thursday, May 7, 2009

About Masks

My youngest, Julie, talked me into helping her with costumes for a dance recital the studio she works at is holding. Mother, like daughter, are not into crafts, and as we pondered the intricacies of fastening a fluffy feather boa to wire and nylon angel wings (glue is not always reliable) I couldn't help but think that the many times I got out of doing parenty stuff like that with lame excuses such as a full time job, etc. are now catching up with me. Karma.
Anyway, another thing Julie was working on was a regular mask that she was painting for one of the dances she taught. She transformed a plain white mask into a mysterious shiny funky sparkly charcoal grey one. Maybe the kid's got crafting blood in her after all.






Looking at the mask got me thinking about the masks we wear (and not only the ones we wear at Hallowe'en parties). Some people wear the mask of self-confidence, and they wear it well. No-one knows how unsure of themselves and how insecure they are. Some people wear the mask of sacrifice, doing good works for community, while simultaneously giving in to their urges to control, manipulate and judge. Some people wear the mask of cheerfulness when they are feeling anything but cheerful. Some wear the mask of serenity when their insides are churning with angst and loss of life's purpose.
Do I wear a mask. Probably. There's the "retailer's mask", the "responsible adult who knows what she's doing" mask. Also the "Zen Mask", the "I love everyone without judgement mask", the "I've got it together and am eternally happy mask" and the "I know you're talking bullshit but I won't let on that I know because I don't want to offend you mask".
These are some of the masks that I want to resolve. I want those masks to become my reality. I really want to be a responsible adult who knows what she's doing. I really want to love everyone without judgement (sometimes hard to do). I want my Zen and Happy masks to be my reality.

It can be done. Detachment, non-judgement, inner peace are all achievable.

We wear masks because (I think) we assume people won't like us if they see the real thing. Granted, people won't like you if you're rude, abusive and dangerous to be around, but we carry our fear of being disliked to the extremes. Suddenly we worry about whether we said something unintentionally offensive, we worry about not fitting in, about voicing an opinion that might not be so popular. We worry so much.
I asked my angels, spirit guides, the universe for inspiration in writing this blog. As I sit here staring off into space trying to find a way to end this post, I happen to look at my quartz crystal sphere. I love the play of light going through it. Such beauty. And I bet it doesn't wear any mask at all.














2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post! I think my dreams unmask me all time. Yesterday was one of those if-things-can-go-wrong-they-will days. I thought I was being quite Zen about the whole thing, but my dream this morning of chaos and being-out-of-control showed me my supposed 'zen' attitude was just masking my stress not alleviating it. Someday, maybe, I'll really master that zen attitude! ;)

Carol said...

It's funny, but I've been having chaotic--Alice in Wonderland--type dreams too. Too bad one can't become as peaceful as a buddhist monk overnight. Darn. :D