Saturday, November 21, 2009

One good deed deserves another

Recently I agreed to be a practice client for a friend of mine who is training to be a life coach. I didn't know her that well, but she seemed like a nice person, and she needed enough practice clients to do her course, so I said sure I'll help. To re-iterate: I was doing HER a favour.

First meeting went quite well, we became more acquainted, I found her easy to talk to, she set the direction of the meeting, and before I knew it, I was blurting out my insecurities, my doubts, my perceived weaknesses like she was my friend for years. This was not going as I anticipated.

Then at subsequent meetings, she gave me homework. HOMEWORK!!! Work that made me dig deeper into my feelings than I had ever done so in the past. Work that made me really evaluate why I behaved in certain ways that was not in my best interest. That's right UNCOMFORTABLE WORK.

At each meeting we dug a little deeper, and holy epiphany, I had some amazing insights.

One of the things that I consider a weakness, is that I hate going to business networking events. I'm shy and always feel uncomfortable. When I'm approached and asked what is it that I do, I freeze, my mind goes blank and I mutter something about selling stuff. So, my ruthless life coach in training's assignment to me was to come up with something that I could say that would clearly state exactly what it is that I do that I would be comfortable in saying.

You would think this assignment would be a piece of cake, wouldn't you. WRONG. Every time I tried to formulate a clear and smart answer to "What do you do?" I froze up and my mind went blank. I tried and tried, as the deadline loomed ever closer. Everything I came up with sounded stilted, awkward, just...not me.

At the eleventh hour I sat down and after much searching came up with something that at least described my business pretty good, though I wasn't completely happy with the wording. My coach, however was pleased with my effort (which made me feel pretty good) and we proceeded to discuss what it was I was really trying to say.

and BAM, everything cleared in my mind. The answer was so simple! And so true!

Could I have come to the present conclusion without a life coach (even one in training). Maybe. Maybe not. You see, without someone dedicated to helping you get to the blocks in your life, it is very easy to ignore the blocks (especially the ones that are the most troubling) because at the time it is easier to do so than to experience the discomfort of facing these blocks.

I was doing her a favour....naw... SHE is doing ME a favour.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

So what statement did you come up with? You never said. :)

Speaking of blockages ... holy cow, that Herkimer diamond I bought is an *amazing* stone! I think it's like a diagnostic tool for showing which chakras are blocked and then releasing the blockage. And it's such a small stone too. I can't believe how powerful it is. :D

Carol said...

you'll see in my next blog :D

Glad it was such help to you. I probably have a couple of blocked chakras (solar plexus and root, I believe).