Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Blood--it's Yours to Give

We've all seen that commercial about donating blood, how it can save a life blah blah blah etc. I know a lot of people who donate blood, my husband being one of them. And I admire them for it. They also vote in municipal elections, rather than stay home comfy/cozy like an unnamed person who I won't name.

Anyway, even though I liked those commercials about donating blood I felt far removed from the whole concept. After all, no-one I knew and loved ever needed blood. Note: I just watched a TED.com video with Brene Brown discussing vulnerability and allowing ourselves to show our true selves...so I may not have portrayed myself in the best light in the above. Just being my true self ya all.

Back to donating blood. Guess who needed a blood transfusion? I am now carrying 2 pints of a stranger's B+ in me. It saved me from having damaged organs in the nick of time. Needless to say, I am grateful to that person who took time out of his/her day to go to the blood donor clinic and have someone stick a needle in them and extract that precious substance from them. Probably got a little woozy and needed a cookie or juice or something. This was done, I'm sure out of a sense of humanity and responsibility and not for the sheer fun of it.

Here's a cute coincidence, last night a young highschooler who was doing his mandatory volunteering dropped off a poster advertising for a Blood Donor Clinic in Byron (where Moonstone Path is located) at the Byron United Church from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm on Tuesday, January 11th of this year. He asked if I could put the poster up in our window. What was I gonna say...NO? Just kidding. I would have put it up in the window even if I hadn't needed blood, I'm not completely evil.

So...to all of you who donate blood...thank you.

No comments: