Friday, October 10, 2008

That little Voice Which I never Listen to

You know that one, it's the voice in your mind that prompts you to do something different. It's the voice that tempts you to step out of your comfort zone. It's the voice that your rational self immediately shouts "Don't listen to it, you're being irrational!!!"

Well I didn't listen to that voice when it said "go ahead, buy a couple of belly-dancing costumes, they'll sell, really."

OK ~ word of explanation here: I own a small (I mean really small) retail business that sells body, mind and spirit products, books, and giftware. I've just added a line of pashmina-style scarves. The lady who wholesales them to me is, like myself, a small business entrepreneur and we hit it off and I ended up buying lots and lots of beautiful scarves.

At the end of our meeting she said that she also carries belly-dancing costumes and wondered if I would be interested in getting a couple of them.

That's when my little voice kicked in and said "What a great idea"

That's when my rational self woke up and loudly proclaimed that this was actually a really bad idea and that they would never sell. Guess what I listened to?

In the last three weeks, I have had 3 requests for belly-dancing costumes. Guess what I'll be ordering shortly?

Always listen to your little voice.

No comments: